Saturday, March 12, 2011

Technology is humbling

So, I've been in the process of learning my new phone.  Over the last couple weeks, I've learned that my smart phone can make me look really foolish.  I don't even want to know how many things I've accidentally "liked" in my Facebook newsfeed just from scrolling on the touch screen.
 
I don't feel that old.  But then again, when I was in college, I don't ever remember feeling intimidated by electronic gadgets.  I always kinda felt like I knew intuitively how to operate them.  I didn't need to sit down to read the manual or take a week to figure out how to edit an event in my calendar...
 
I have to sheepishly admit that before this week, I never knew it was possible to send a text message to someone's landline.  I learned that unexpectedly this week when I did it by mistake.  And of course, if there was one person in my contact list who I would have preferred to maintain some dignity with, it would be that person. 
 
So, I got a call one morning this week from this lady that I host a Homeschool Mom's meeting with each month telling me that there was a very strange message on their landline that appeared to be from me.  Well, it wouldn't be beyond me to send "strange" text messages.  Some of the text messages that my husband and I exchange would appear very strange indeed if sent to the wrong person.  So, immediately, I get all hot inside and think--"What on earth did I send to Eileen??"  I think I incriminated myself more as I squirmed to figure out what my mistake was.  Thankfully, Eileen seemed pleasantly amused.  Eventually, I figured out that it was a legitimate message that I intended to send to her cell phone.  But the crazy thing was that, apparently, my mobile provider inserts an evil laugh anywhere there is a smiley face in the text message. 
 
(Yeah, my cell provider is a little demented, but they're cheap...) 
 


So, if you ever get a text-to-landline message from me with an evil laugh at the end, it's no mistake.  :-) <insert evil laugh here>
 
This makes me think back to about 3 years ago, I suppose, when I very first started using facebook.  My nieces and nephews had been using it a lot, and I mostly just got a Facebook to keep in touch with them, and a few odd friends and family.
 
I wish I had written down all of the crazy ways that I utterly humiliated myself figuring out facebook...  Like once when I took one of those friend quizzes, and I didn't know you could skip a question if you didn't want to answer it...and I found out later that they posted the answers you gave on the person's wall! 
 
I remember Mike was pretty skeptical when I first got a facebook.  He would check my profile to make sure I wasn't posting too much stuff on there because he thought it was "undignified" for a homeschool married lady to hang out on facebook all day.  Not wanting to embarrass my husband, I tried to be careful.  But even my dignified hubby couldn't help but lurk on my facebook, and he eventually got one of his own.  I guess I'm always the one who has to get the embarrassing bugs out of the process first so he can come along and try new things with dignity.
 
Come to think of it, he got a blog shortly after I did, and I'm betting he'll have a smart phone before long, too.  But I'm pretty sure he won't make as many ridiculous mistakes as I have.
 
 

1 comment:

Tara said...

Our understanding of technology stopped around the time the DVD came out.

You can send a text to landline message? Does the voice just read it to you or what?? (I don't even have a cell, Jim has custody of ours most of the time.)