Simple touches
When I was getting married, a dear sister from the chapel threw me a bridal shower. It was beautiful. She and her husband were well traveled and she served appetizers from all over Europe... ...and we happened to be going to Europe for our honeymoon so it was especially fitting. All of the glassware and the decorations and the music were so beautiful. Her hospitality made an impression on me. . . . When the Lord gave us a home of our own, I soon had the opportunity to throw bridal showers... I found myself feeling the need to do everything extravagently... And each time I hosted or planned a major event, I felt the need to outdo what I had done before... It became costly, and time consuming, and I actually got to the point where I just didn't enjoy it very much anymore. I realized all of the garlands and the tulle and the lights and the ivy weren't me. It was time to find my style of hospitality. And so I did. . . . I still like to put a little time and thought into special occasions. I've tried a few different things over the years. There are a couple that have "stuck". I love candles. Candles say warmth and welcome... I am especially fond of clean-burning soy t-lite candles. There's nothing like having someone come into your home and extinguish your candles because they're getting headache. (Yes, I've had that happen.) It's the simple touches that I've become characterized by. I love decorations that aren't just pretty to look at, but are also meaningful. One of my very favorite things to do for a special occasion is to arrange an assortment of t-lite candles around framed Scripture.
Photography is a hobby of mine, so for years, when I'd find a really good deal on a cute frame, I'd buy it and tuck it into a bin in my garage. I eventually accumulated quite a collection. One evening I was having a group of ladies over and it occurred to me to decorate with Scripture...and since that time it has become sort of a "trademark" for me. Since I already own the frames, printing the images at Sam's Club is practically free. If the special occasion honors a certain person, I may ask them ahead of time for some of their favorite verses, and then arrange them (digital-scrap style) in frames in little corners around the room. Here are a few of the ones that I designed for the shower.
I also have grown fond of designing candy wrappers. For my nephew's graduation open-house, we wrapped mini-candy bars in wrappers printed with his childhood nicknames. Considering the large group, I brought out the candy bar idea again. (Remember...I'm not opposed to doing the same thing...yeah...)
They're kinda different. I found scrapbook paper with a burlap pattern on it, grunged it up a bit, and used a stamp font. They needed something more...and I thought of gluing a flower on them, but it just didn't fit with the rest of the theme. So, I ended up tying each one with a piece of twine. I'm going to arrange them in a chicken wire basket. Very simple. These are the sorts of things you'll see if you ever come to a special gathering in my home. I'm learning to simplify. It's a work in progress. But I'm really starting to learn that less is more. Especially when the simple touches are meaningful and heartfelt.
No comments:
Post a Comment