Seven years ago or so, I stumbled upon garden arches at Michael's Craft Store
for five...dollars...each.
$5??
So, I bought 3. Two to use, and one for parts.
I love getting a good deal on something.
Even more, I love seeing the Lord use those things.
These arches have seen a lot of showers, weddings, and receptions in their lifetime...
Here's the arch on display for the first time:
(Wow, it's so weird to see white walls in my house!)
And here it is a year later at my niece's wedding:
Planning her wedding was my 2005 spring project... As I was looking for a picture of the arch, I got distracted looking at the pictures and remembering how much work that was! :-) That will go down as one of the most challenging projects I've taken on, but it turned out to be a beautiful day.
Wasn't she a beautiful bride?
She hand stitched this dress. She was the first of the Walters girls that "we" married off... About to marry off another one this spring. Sigh... Anyway... So, I'm planning this wedding shower for my dear niece Bethany and her soon-to-be husband Isaac. They're simple... Kind of "earthy"... So, I want the shower to reflect their simplicity. It's a "his and hers" shower, so I want it to be a mixture of rustic and elegant.. masculine and feminine... We'll see how I do. :-) The first project I took on was the old garden arch. I'm not so much into "garden green" anymore. The colors for the shower will be muted, natural tones...so it was time to spray bomb a wedding arch. My husband draped a couple of layers of plastic over our tables in the garage... and I was in business. It was messy... ...and did you know that spray paint completely devours plastic? Now you know. Good thing my hubby had the good sense to double the plastic! By the way, I've done a lot of spray bombing in the garage...and if you're looking for the all around perfect paint to keep on hand for those random urges to blast something, this is the one to get: It is the most perfect ultra flat super-dark brown and it works wonders on anything metal. I always used to use satin paint. Never again. I am all for flat paint. It hides flaws. It dries in less than 15 minutes. It holds up just fine to wear and tear. And if you need to do touch-ups, you can spray a spot and never worry about lap marks. Good paint. Not only that, but there's something about flat paint that makes everything else stand out. I use flat paint everywhere now--I won't go back. Alrighty, so, time to assemble the newly painted arch:
Thank you hubby! I was so glad he was willing to put it all together. I've assembled these arches a good many times over the years, but I "tweaked" my back a few weeks ago. (Who am I kidding? Tweaked is a polite way to say that I've been waddling around like a granny...) I'm so grateful it's FINALLY improving. (I was beginning to wonder if this shower was going to be even simpler than I'd planned!)
And, fully assembled...the new brown arch:
Decorating begins...
The garlands went on amazingly quickly...
But then, I had the brilliant idea to use fishnet instead of tulle around the arch... ...and piecing that on did not go quickly. Finished: I'm always slow to decide if I like something or not...but I think I like it. I'll decide for sure when it's placed over the punch table at the shower. :-) So, if you're ever in need of wedding decorations... I keep an entire wedding in my attic at all times... Seriously.
No comments:
Post a Comment