Saturday, February 19, 2011

I been butt pickin' again...

We were in the midst of some unseasonably warm weather, and were planning for company, so I decided to fix a barbeque complete with beans, coleslaw, fresh fruit and veggies, and...
 
a smoked pork roast:
 



Some of you may remember that we served pulled pork at Sam's graduation open house last year.
 
I slow roasted somewhere around 60 pounds of pork butt for that party.
 
I rinsed those butts and patted them dry and brined them in my fridge and patted them dry again and rubbed them down with seasonings and roasted them for 13 hours each in my oven and woke up to the probe alarm in the mornings and shredded them with forks and stored them in my freezer...
 
Let's just say that it smelled really good for the first roast or two...
 
I even snuck a little taste here and there when I pulled the meat.
 
But when I lived with the smell of roast pork in my house day and night for several days, it started to get overwhelming...
 
And by the time I had done that many roasts...let's just say I didn't care if I ever saw another pork butt again.
 
I figured it had been over 9 months and I was probably over it...especially since the plan was to smoke the roast on the grill this time. 
 
 


 
But, it was a large pork shoulder, and those take a loooong time to smoke.  So, when midnight rolled around and the pork still hadn't reached the magic 200 degrees for pulling...I knew I'd have to bring it in the house and finish it in the oven. 
 
And, I discovered that I still haven't "gotten over it"...  Ha!  Out of that entire roast, I ate
 
one. tiny. sandwich. 
 
And that was just to make sure it was fit to serve company.
 
Bummer that my husband enjoys smoked pork so much or I'd just retire...
 
...maybe I'll just leave the butt pickin' to him from now on.  :-)

No comments: