Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Day 4: Astoria, Oregon (Part 2)


After Fort Clatsop, we decided to check out the Astoria Column.



Planes are available for a dollar...


...and those who make it to the top can throw their little wood plane over the rail.  Cheap fun!


Unfortunately, there were some local kids (based on their license plate) who made it their mission to steal as many wood planes as possible and hide them in their truck before people could get back down from the tower to claim them.  And after we met their dad, we decided it was definitely not worth messing with him over a $1 plane.  Ha!  Disappointing, but at least we were able to reclaim one of our wood planes to keep for a souvenir.  


Next, we went over to briefly check out the Columbia River Maritime Museum.  Very interesting place...and yet another attraction that we normally would have spent an entire day investigating if we could have.



Knowing that we had a long drive ahead, we had to cut short our Astoria visit and make our way toward Puyallup (pronounced "Pew AL up" with a short a sound...finally mastered this by our last day there!)  We had one more thing to see on the way...

The Pacific Ocean:


It was a very hot day and we were short on time, so we found an ocean access near Cape Disappointment, and we ended up having the whole beach to ourselves which was really special.  This was Elizabeth's first time seeing the ocean, and it was my first time seeing the Pacific. 

She was very excited...


It was a windy day and the waves were wild:


There were all sorts of water birds along the beach:


The pelicans waddling around just made me giggle...


Very pretty spot...


...and a girl happy to see the ocean for the very first time:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I wanna go to Astoria....we were there just once, very quickly passing through, and missed some of the sights.

Love the pic of Elizabeth!

I remember the thrill of seeing the Pacific for the first time...it still makes me marvel.

mommamindy.wordpress.com
mommamindyprairieprimer.wordpress.com

~ Mary said...

Astoria is a place where I wish we would have had a little more time. A very pretty spot indeed.

I do enjoy the ocean--especially the birds that gather at the sea. They make me very happy.

I get a similar feeling on the shores of Lake Superior...or anytime when I stand before a body of water that goes on as far as the eye can see. I love listening to the crashing waves and feeling so small...it's like getting just a tiny glimpse of the Creator's power.