Wednesday, June 20, 2012

In Loving Memory...


Marjorie Virginia Hamlin

April 9, 1918 - June 19, 2012



The last several days we have been living life in slow motion.  

Our hearts and prayers were with our precious Grandma Hamlin during her last days in this world.  

Yesterday evening, she stepped into eternity.

I loved this lady like my own Grandma.  I am so grateful to have known her.  She was such a treasure...  Being a late-in-life child to my parents, my memories of my own Grandmas are limited.  I lost them both before Mike and I were married, so I was very grateful to inherit his two beautiful Grandmothers.

I felt insecure about "fitting in" to Mike's family...but I remember feeling loved and accepted by Grandma Hamlin from the very beginning.  I can honestly say that she was the sweetest person I have ever known...I feel very honored to have had her in my life.

Marjorie Virginia Thorson was born in the spring of 1918; a farm girl, and a child of the depression.  

On December of 1945, she married Richard John Hamlin.  




I remember her saying to us on several occasions, "Richard was my life."  And he was.  

She was fiercely devoted to those she loved.  Richard and Marjorie had 2 children, (Norma Jean and Gary Richard), 4 grandchildren (John, Michael, Darcy and Kristi), 1 great grandchild (Elizabeth) and 2 great grandchildren on the way (a boy and a girl).

She was simple, and sweet, and spunky and adorable, and stubborn, and dignified, and dramatic.  She loved her family and her friends...and coffee and cookies and chocolate.  (about 2-3 pounds a week in her prime.)

She loved her sweetheart...








...and her sweetheart loved her.

So...we say good-bye to someone very dear to us.  And now we reflect on the years of good memories; they were a gift.  From holiday meals at her country home to dinners at Homestyle Pizza in Spring Valley to "hiding" her Sunday cookie at her apartment in Rochester...we have much to smile about.  Oh, but we're gonna miss her.  

Her memorial service will be on Monday in Spring Valley.  


(I hope to post some memories on the blog between now and then.) 

No comments: